This course provides a theoretical, historical and evidence-based perspective on reading instruction. Students will explore a wide range of literacy research and investigate how these studies impact reading instruction in their own teaching lives. This course will include the examination, discussion and application of the following foundational topics:
- emergent reading skills
- word recognition
- writing to advance reading development
- electronic and professional resources to support literacy
- Instructor: Holly D. Brunson
This course prepares teachers to incorporate instruction methods to make content area textbooks and other reading more comprehensible for all students. Topics include hands-on strategies, scaffolding, and methods to teach students how to read a textbook. Participants will also design and implement lessons that accommodate all literacy levels.
- Instructor: Julianne Scullen
This course explores the selection, administration, scoring, and interpretation of a variety of individual and group reading assessment tools. Principles of assessment provide the foundation for field experiences with assessment. The purposes, strengths, and limitations of each assessment instrument will be examined. In this course, teachers will learn to use assessment information in planning and evaluating reading instruction, with a focus on differentiated classroom instruction; they will also learn to effectively communicate the results of assessments to a range of audiences.
- Instructor: Maggie A. Struck
This course is designed for practitioners who are responsible for developing and administering reading intervention programs for students experiencing difficulties in reading. The course will focus on four main aspects of reading intervention:
- the nature and causes of reading difficulties
- the application of assessment instruments and results to develop assessment-based intervention
- research-based intervention models
- design, planning, and implementation of effective reading interventions for individuals and small groups
- Instructor: Elizabeth A. Pearson