This course is designed for practitioners who are responsible for developing and administering reading intervention programs for students experiencing difficulties in reading. The course will focus on four main aspects of reading intervention:
- the nature and causes of reading difficulties
- the application of assessment instruments and results to develop assessment-based intervention
- research-based intervention models
- design, planning, and implementation of effective reading interventions for individuals and small groups
- Instructor: Elizabeth A. Pearson
This course focuses on various leadership roles in literacy education – reading teacher, reading specialist, and literacy coach. The dimensions of each role will be explored and compared. Major topics studied will include: using district and school assessment data to determine student needs; creating a literacy vision for your school; assisting teachers in instructional organization, management, and strategies; selecting appropriate core and supplemental materials; and developing and implementing a year-long professional development plan (PDP).
- Instructor: Randy Koch